Partially engraved and silver gilt
L : 6,7 cm
Weight : 114 grams
Helmut Seling, Die kunst des Augsburger Goldschmiede 1529-1868, 1980, Band III, n° 1227, p. 140.
This small box with a sliding lid reveals six golden compartments designed to hold spices. These rare spices could be cinnamon, nutmeg, amber, rosemary or cloves.
An almost identical box is part of the collection of the Elector Princes of Saxony and is on display in Dresden (Kunstgewerbemuseum, inv. no. 47724).
Tobias Leucker was received master in 1609 and died in 1632. He is known to have worked for the famous cabinet of curiosities of Duke Philip II of Pomerania Stettin.